Sunday 27 January 2019

ULTIMATE PRAWN AND AVOCADO CEVICHE


So, my random Sunday craving led me to the Tesco fish counter ordering raw prawns and then going on to buy a whole load of limes to then creating this delicious, tangy and refreshing prawn ceviche.
 For those that may not know, Ceviche is a raw seafood dish that I believe originates from Peru. The fish - in this case the prawns - is marinated/cured in a citrus juice making it well, “cooked” I guess. It can be served on its own, as a starter or a main with tacos or I think some people even have it with rice. 



I love to have it with tortilla chips! You could serve it like I've done when you’re hosting a party, it’s super easy but looks very impressive. Just be sure to use the freshest fish possible! Its light, refreshing, healthy...not really a winter dish but hey, give the body what it wants! The best thing is that you can play around with the ingredients and what you add in, I used avocado and mango for a sweet and creamy texture but some people like to add tomato or bells peppers. So its totally up to you ;)


Hope you enjoy the recipe below. I'm no expert but it came out pretty damn good if I do say so myself ;) If you do make it be sure to tag me in your photos! Xx

  
This is about half of the amount I made, the recipe below serves 4 people. 


Ingredients
- 400g raw peeled king prawns, roughly chopped
- 4 limes (juiced) 
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 to 2  birds eye chilli (depends on your taste buds)
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 tsp salt
- Half a large firmish mango, diced
- Half a large firm (but ripe) avocado, diced
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander
- A quarter of a red onion, finely sliced

Method

1.  In a bowl, add the lemon and lime juices, the salt (start with 1 tsp and see how it goes), the chilli, some of the coriander and half of the red onion. You can taste this now before if goes on the prawns. 

2.  Add the prawns to a sealable container, or a bowl that you can cover, pour the lemon juice mixture over the prawns, cover and leave in the fridge for about 10 minutes to "cook", give it a shake/stir and replace in fridge for 5 minutes until fully pink and/or opaque. (If after the 15 minutes the prawns are still not quite opaque then leave for a further 2 minutes until you think they're alright - I'd say, no longer than 20 minutes or the texture won't be quite right.)

3.  Add in the mango, avocado, the remaining coriander, spring onions, red onion and olive. Stir and taste, add more salt if necessary.

4.  Serve alone or with your choice of side, I recommend tortilla chips, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment